Saturday, February 23, 2013

What would you do? : Spitsville

Life is full of choices. But the most important ones are where you have to identify right from wrong and pick a path. We come across such moments quite frequently in our daily routines, maybe some of us give it a thought, and then we move on to follow our busy schedules. This column is my attempt to reflect on such occasions and not let the sense of responsibility escape from me, on the pretext of a busy life. 

Also, this is where I would like my friends, and readers to share their thoughts and think out loud about their experiences. I am hoping to open up a discussion and do the right thing as a community.

So, here goes...

Spitsville:

Having grown up in India, "Gutkha Spit" was something that became part of the surroundings. As unhygienic as it was, I never saw the frequency of the spit marks go down. I remember corners of our apartment system lined by red streaks. Every other year the maintenance would paint the walls and within just a few weeks, the walls would return to their former glory, so to say. It was beyond my understanding what compulsive disorder people suffered from, unable to stop themselves from spoiling something pristine.

As I grew up, I got used to the fact that some things never change, the same thought a lot of Indians have grown up with. By the time I had my own independent thought process, there was nothing that used to annoy me more than people spitting all along the road, walking by. It had become part of their natural demeanor, and this with awareness signs all around. T.B used to be a deadly disease in India, and there was almost an epidemic of it. Given that, there were multiple public awareness programs, discouraging people against spitting, as that is the most common means of spreading the disease. Yet, people spit, they ignore their health and others' health. The "Chalta hai" attitude prevailed. I couldn't understand why nobody would stop these people.

And one fine day, on my way back from college, I just couldn't hold it in. I was riding my Dio, and the cyclist in front of me spit. I got ahead of him , and asked him why he had spit. He looked at me, with amusement, and said, "Aap pe gira kya (Did it land on you)?". As, I nodded my head in a "No", he was shocked to see me make an intervention, when it was supposedly none of my business. "Toh phir problem kya hai (So, what is your problem)?", said he in his defense.


So, my problem was that nobody thought it was their business. Why should I have had to be affected by it, before I can raise my voice? I tried explaining to him how spitting on the road is equivalent to spitting in his home. And he looked at me, like, I was crazy or something. But, one thing I did notice that he did not like to be cornered, and he quickly owned up, saying "Sorry". I drove away, but felt satisfied that I had at least conveyed that it is not okay to spit on the road. Maybe it was my naivety, that I thought it would change anything. But, today, 10 years later, I see things have improved a little bit. There are not as many red streaks along the walls of my apartment. And although, I do not know the reasons to this, I would like to believe that it was the voices of many people like me, that made things a little better, however little it maybe. 

Now, my question to you is, what would you have done in that situation? What would you do, today,  if you saw someone spit or throw trash on the streets? It is easy to expect everything to be clean and tidy, but who is going to do the dirty job, the dirty job of being loud and clear, of being stern and taking a stand "Sab kuch nahi chalta hai". I do not know if that person stopped spitting after that or not, but at least he spent those 2 minutes thinking about it. And sometimes, it just takes a thought to make you see between right and wrong. 

Have you had that moment? Have any of you had such an experience? Is it naive to expect one voice to change the society? Please share your thoughts!!



3 comments:

  1. I have had such moments! Not with spitting but with smoking.... I have told off many people :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Rajrupa! Spitting, smoking, trashing... it is just an attitude if inconsideration towards others. We can just hope that our tiny contributions help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. United's co chairman and managing director have met with Qusai Al Fawaz, the president of the Saudi Football Federation, to speak about the 'cooperation between the club and the federation and how to improve that'.They also caught up with the Abo Sak family in their home in Diriyah on Wednesday. Dr Mohammed Abo Sak, the Saudi minister of parliamentary affairs, is the father of Faisal, who previously worked for Saudi Telecom, United's longest running commercial partner.Glazer met with Faisal when he was in Riyadh for the Future Investment Initiative in October 2017.Why Man Utd co owner Avram Glazer is really in Saudi Arabia amid takeover claimsThis partnership forms part of the Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman's Saudi Vision 2030 project to diversify the economy and develop its public sectors. understands the Glazers Cheap Jordan Shoes For Men have no plans to sell up.Glazer and Arnold have made the journey to Saudi Arabia principally to attend the Misk Global Forum, the world's leading youth conference, which runs over two days.Read today's top New Yeezy Shoes United stories here Ronaldinho and Amir Khan are among the sporting figures who have already spoken at the event and Glazer is due to take to the stage on Thursday.Glazer had previously been set to speak at the latest Future Investment Initiative, in October, but pulled out following the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.The shock free transfers that could give Manchester United what they needallMost ReadMost RecentManchester United Transfer NewsThe shock free transfers that could give Manchester United what they needMan Utd could save themselves a fortune in the transfer Ray Ban Sunglasses Sale market in 2019 by turning to players whose deals expire in 2019.The GlazersWhy Man Utd co owner Avram Glazer Michael Kors Outlet Online is really in Saudi Arabia amid takeover claimsMan Utd co chairman Avram Glazer was pictured in Saudi Arabia alongside managing director Richard Arnold on Wednesday/Manchester United Transfer Coach Outlet Sale NewsManchester United news and transfers LIVE Jose Mourinho set for disappointment as Ed Woodward 'makes decision'All the latest Man Utd news and transfer rumours as the players prepare for the first games of this international break.Manchester United FCJose Mourinho already has the player to give Manchester United a new dimensionMan Utd are struggling for creativity in midfield but Jose Mourinho has already admitted he has the solution he just needs Coach Handbags Clearance to play him.Manchester City FCManchester United can replicate Man City's midfield blueprintMan City gave Man Utd a lesson in midfield domination on Sunday and Jose Mourinho needs to learn from it.Manchester United FCWho Manchester United chiefs have been meeting in Saudi Arabia and whyMan Utd chiefs Avram Glazer and Richard Arnold have been busy in meetings in Saudi Arabia ahead of the Misk Global Forum.Bernardo SilvaDavid Silva heaps praise on his 'brilliant' Man City successorThe Spaniard has been at the heart of City's success since arriving from Valencia in 2010Manchester United Transfer NewsManchester United Cheap Air Force Ones news and transfers LIVE Jose Mourinho set for disappointment as Ed Woodward 'makes decision'All the latest Man Utd news and transfer rumours as the players prepare for the first games of this international break..

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...